Thumbs ups and downs of our AndroidPad

We bought an APad a few weeks ago and here are my thumbs ups and downs of the unit that I got.

Thumbs Up:
1. Wi-fi  - connects excellently to the available connections. Doesn't support proxy configurations.
2. Facebook - uses facebook mobile so the interface is quite different from the usual desktop app. For first time facebook log-in, status "<Your name> installed Android application on his/her phone." And on posts using the app, it will indicate that you updated status via Mobile Web.
3. App market -has a pre-installed app market which is APad compatible. If you try fishing for apps using the default browser, some apps can't be installed in the unit, maybe because of the difference in the screen resolution. I got a few apps installed using the this appmarket.
5. DocumentsToGo - very nice and decent app that allows me to view my pdf , doc and ppt files on the go. Quite slow though but pretty useful app. Docx and pptx formats are not supported.
4. Googlemaps- default view is on China so the language is Chinese, but when you browse somewhere southeast, you get to find the Philippine map and the places' annotations are in English language.
GoogleMap app for Android showing a portion of the Philippine Map

5. Youtube - has a dedicated Youtube app where video browsing is easier as it automatically converts the video resolution to APad's screen resolution.
6. Browser - the default browser is powered by Google. Haven't tried tabbed browsing using it, don't know how to do it yet. hehehe.. The distributor also gave me a Dolphin browser Mini and it supports tabbed browsing. Great!
Dolphin browser showing the capability for tabbed browsing

7. Task Killer app -  lets you choose which app to kill in case the APad performance gets a bit laggy.
Task kiler app interface

8. Plants vs. Zombies - my kids play with this app and I think they're very much enjoying it.
My Cassy getting busy with PvZ

9.   It has a factory reset button in case everything got messed up. After I factory resetted it, the documentsToGo, Skype, YouTube and the files in the home folder are not deleted.
The settings menu

10. The distributor, from where I've bought this unit, gave me a lifetime warranty for its battery. For as long as the two stickers at the back are not tampered, I can go to their store and surrender the unit and have it replaced by a NEW one! Isn't that really nice? But up to now, the battery is still working 2.5 hours as specified in their ads so no need for replacement just yet.
11. It fell from the top of our cabinet to the wooden floor and it still worked! Haahha.. no LCD damage. I may have gotten a lucky faithful unit.
12. When not on my ride, I bring it at home or in the office. At home, my kid's are the ones using it. They are button-clicking-happy so they got the apps really messed up. Most apps experienced forced close. They must have deleted an important package in the system. I did a factory reset and everything went back to normal. But I have to re-install other needed apps though.

Thumbs down:
- I can't upgrade it to the latest version because the lifetime warranty will be voided. The seller told me that one of his clients did and the touch screen capability didn't work anymore. So why take risk? Hahahaah...
- The videos have to be converted to PSP screen resolution first before you can view one, I think that's why they have a dedicated youtube viewer to patch up to this.
- Screen is hazy, low screen resolution.
- Sounds not so clear.
- Videos appear a bit laggy and pixelated.
- The app market won't connect if the wifi signal is poor. The apps given by the one to whom I've bought the unit are all working i.e. Plants vs. Zombies, Bibles and bible verses, facebook, fingerpaint, google skymap, and meebo works perfectly. There are many other games, quite simple and light weight ones, that I haven't installed because my kids can get somewhat addicted to playing it so I'd rather not install it.


Got some screen captures here:
The home screen

Some installed apps

Some installed apps

My videos interface 

Magic Album

Calendar

Calculator

Alarm

AcroBible Lite welcome screen

AcroBible Lite

Skype

Overall it's pretty much BEST BUY for me considering its price and its capabilities and performance.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Open Street Map data (i.e.shapefiles etc.) for the Philippines

Free Philippine Administrative Boundaries shapefile

University of the Philippines Diliman Campus